Fortress Gallery "Bastion"

Ivano-Frankivsk city
GPS coordinates: 48.552096 24.422737


In 1662, the polish magnate and founder of the Stanislavov city (the old name of the city; Ivano-Frankivsk - since 1962) A. Pototski initiated the construction of fortifications. The author of the project was F. Corassini. The first fortifications were wooden, but this did not prevent the city from withstanding the Turkish attacks in 1672. In 1676, the Turks did not take the fortress, but destroyed one of its suburbs (Vasyliyanok Street area).

In 1679-1682 and 1734-1750 fortress was rebuilt, wood was replaced with bricks and stones, the ditches were dug around the perimeter, earth shafts with eight bastions were poured. These fortifications had not been preserved. In 1772, after the accession of Halychyna to Habsburg monarchy, the Stanislaviv Fortress lost its defensive importance. In the early 19th century, Austrians, the new owners of the city, actively began to dismantle the fortifications, while the materials were used to build the city.

Only part of the defensive brickwork remains at the corner of Novhorodska and Belvederska streets until present time. The restoration of this part was completed in 2012. In 2018, another part of the Stanislaviv fortress, so-called Tysmenytsia Gate, was accidentally discovered during repairing works. Ideas for its conservation are now being developed.

One of the main Ivano-Frankivsk galleries "Bastion" is located in the surviving part of the restored fortress today. In addition, there are souvenir shops, cafes and a restaurant, and outside there is a promenade place used for various cultural events, including an International blacksmith festival, which takes place annually in May.