Kolomyia Town Hall

1 Hrushevskogo Street, Kolomyia town

Kolomyia is an ancient princely city, the first written mention of which dates back to 1241. Fortress used to be located here at the old times, but as of today nothing remains from it. Most likely, it was destroyed during the Mongol invasion. The castle was rebuilt under Polish rule in the middle of the 14th century; it was located in the modern town hall area. It was so-called “Old Court”.

During the 15th-17th centuries, the city was devastated by the Vlachs, Tatars and Turks attacks, but was constantly rebuilt. Not surprisingly, its architectural appearance has a distinct Austro-Hungarian character, when wooden buildings where replaced by stone structures. In the middle ages, Market Square was different from what we know now. It was a large undeveloped square with a town hall in the middle. In 1405, the city was granted the Magdeburg Right and the first town hall was built soon.

In 1865, a fire destroyed the ancient town hall and most of the buildings around the square. In 1871, 27 houses were burned here in the flames of another fire. Therefore, when the construction of houses started in 1877, it was decided to move the new town hall to the opposite side of the square, to the southwest. It was built at the corner - in Ukraine, there is no magistrate that stands half-turned to the main square. In addition, in the place where the town hall should stand, they built houses for the locals.

The new stone structure (33 m high) of neo-Renaissance style with a spiky Gothic roof was reminiscent of the classic elements of the old fortification.

On November 1, 1918, a blue and yellow flag, the national symbol of just proclaimed West Ukrainian National Republic, was hung on the top of the town hall. Further, the building witnessed Polish and Soviet occupation. Until 1944, there was a magistrate and city administration, and since 1947 - a dental clinic and a medical school. In 1990 the town hall regained the status of an administrative building (during 1990-1992 several rooms of the first floor were occupied by the Kolomyia History Museum, local television, editorial and publishing committee "Encyclopedia of Kolomyia").

The City Council and the City Executive Committee are working today in this building